Advanced PowerShell Scripting Masterclass with Aleksandar Nikolić
A master of PowerShell - well known in the community - is coming to Sweden to deliver his course in the subject of advanced PowerShell scripting. The course focuses on advanced PowerShell techniques and is based on the latest cross-platform version of PowerShell. You’ll also get many PowerShell remoting tips and tricks from a community-recognized remoting expert.
This course is the expressway to start automating your Windows enterprise management and heterogeneous environments in the hybrid cloud! PowerShell command-line and scripting skills are becoming increasingly vital in an enterprise and cloud realm where remote management, headless systems, and virtual systems are gaining territory.
Target Audience and Prerequisites
The course is intended for enterprise administrators, infrastructure architects, systems engineers, network administrators, IT professionals, and other professionals managing server infrastructures.
To take the course and follow its pace, you need to have good hands-on experience in administering server infrastructure and basic PowerShell knowledge.
The course is given in English.
Aleksandar Nikolić is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for Cloud and Datacenter Management and Microsoft Azure, a co-founder of PowerShellMagazine.com, and the community manager of PowerShell.com. He is a Microsoft Azure Advisor and has delivered a PowerShell training to Microsoft employees at Microsoft HQ in Redmond, USA.
After more than 17 years as a system administrator, Aleksandar is experienced presenting and speaking to Microsoft customers, and skilled with describing complex management and automation tasks. He also delivers PowerShell and Azure training courses around the world (Iceland, Norway, Sweden, USA, Finland, the Netherlands, Serbia, Croatia...) and is a frequent speaker at various IT conferences (Microsoft Ignite, Microsoft TechDays, PowerShell Conference Europe, MMS, NIC, IT/Dev Connections, ExpertsLive Europe and USA…).
The State of PowerShell
- Windows PowerShell and PowerShell Core
Modern PowerShell Host Applications
- PowerShell Console/PSReadline
- Visual Studio Code with PowerShell Extension (and EditorServicesCommandSuite module)
- Azure Cloud Shell
- Windows Terminal
Advanced PowerShell Operators
- Using type, unary, format, and redirection operators
Flow Control Statements
- Using conditional, looping, and switch statements
Background Jobs vs ThreadJobs
- Using a new ThreadJob module
Advanced PowerShell Remoting
- Going deeper into WinRM- and SSH-based remoting, PowerShell Direct, and remote IPC connections
Working with .NET and Events
- Accessing the .NET classes
- Working with real-time events in PowerShell
Working with XML and JSON
- Working with the XML and JSON structured text
- Using web cmdlets
Writing Advanced Functions
- Advanced techniques to write a production-ready functions
Error Handling and Debugging
- Debugging with Visual Studio Code
Testing with Pester
- Testing your code with a test framework for PowerShell
- Infrastructure testing with Pester and the Operation Validation Framework
- Script Analysis and Best Practices (PSScriptAnalyzer)
- Checking the quality of PowerShell code by running a set of rules based on PowerShell best practices identified by PowerShell Team and the community
Using and Authoring Modules Writing portable modules (modules that work in both Windows PowerShell and PowerShell Core)
Using PowerShell with Git Source Control
Just Enough Administration (JEA)
- Enabling delegated administration for anything managed by PowerShell
- Audit PowerShell usage using transcript and logging
Creating Custom Types using PowerShell Classes
- Define custom types in PowerShell using familiar object-oriented programming semantics
Desired State Configuration
- DSC Overview
- Configurations and resources
- Local Configuration Manager
- DSC Push and Pull Models